January 4, 2010


Today was my first day back to work. I tried my hardest not to think about it all weekend. I even tried not to think about it this morning in the shower and tried to think about how fun it will be to see everyone and to have adult conversation. I didn't cry at all while I was getting ready or putting on my makeup.

I made my way downstairs and decided to make myself an espresso as it seemed as if Joel and Nora were still asleep. A few moments later I heard Joel on the stairs and he had Nora. He came down to make me a latte (so sweet!). I took one look at Nora and burst into tears. I thought I was going to make it out the door unscathed since Joel was staying at home with her. I broke down about two more times before I finally made it out the door. I kept looking at her thinking, "how could I be leaving you?". Hello, mommy guilt!

Work was fine and I'm sure this will become the new normal. I'm really blessed that I don't have the really hard day until March 9 when I have to take her to day care. Lesson learned: makeup will be applied as I'm pulling into work that day.


  1. Oh no!! It is SO hard going back to work. Give it a couple of months and you'll get into the swing of things. It is a hard transition, but you'll all adjust!

  2. Ugh, I hated going back to work more than anything. It ended up being really good for us, though, because Husband learned his own groove with Jeb instead of me hovering all the time. I know in the moment, though, it's really hard. Hang in there, it gets easier.

  3. I've been thinking of you this week and wondering how the transition was going. Hang in there, I'm sure it gets easier with time!

  4. I think it's harder than any of us ever could've imagined. So glad the day went OK for you...I'm told it WILL get easier, I hope it's true for you!


  5. I can't believe your FMLA ended already...that seemed to go so fast (I'm sure it seemed even faster to you!) How time flies when you're having fun, huh? It must have been so difficult to go back. But I'm glad that the first day went OK. Hope this week went well!