October 20, 2009

A New Identity: Mom

I've always been a very independent person and have always held closely to my own identity. It's so interesting now being a mom and adding that to the list of what makes me who I am. I didn't have the perspective that I am now a mom until I left the house yesterday for the first time by myself in 3 weeks. Yes, I have been caring for my daughter for 3 weeks now but sometimes my synapses aren't all firing when I'm doing laundry or changing diapers. It took the perspective of being out of the house for it to hit me that I am someone's mom.

Strangely, I was waiting in line for a flu shot at our local grocery store when I realized- I'm a mom. I'm going to buy things for my daughter today. It took leaving the house and feeling like my "old self" again running errands to reinforce that I am actually a mom. I am going to be coming home to my daughter and this is my new life.

It's also interesting that I've always been an extremely career-driven person and have always worked really hard professionally and I haven't really given a thought about work since I've been gone. (Sorry colleagues, but, I know you are all kicking butt without me). It's so nice to be able to focus on other aspects of myself for a change. Especially since I have defined myself so much by my work in my life. It's nice to be able to rediscover that I'm not a one dimensional person. Just an interesting revelation I thought I'd share. Strange when things hit you while waiting in line for a shot. It's nice to have a few quiet minutes to think I suppose.

Nora is doing great. Now is her active time and she's on her play mat making cute little noises and discovering her own reflection in the mirror. (I've uploaded a video. It's not the most exciting thing you'll ever watch but I'm a proud mom:).

It's so fun to have her awake during more of the day and watching her discover things. I know it's only going to get more fun!

6 comments:

  1. Love the way you think. I could see myself say the same thing months down the line. Cheers for the new "you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Incredible post and incredible video of yoru gorgeous daughter. Thank you so much for your honesty. I am so looking forward to being home next semester and discovering who I am as a mother and NOT a teacher of middle schoolers!! I just love following your journey - you are so encourging to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it will seem so surreal to me when I'm finally doing "mom" things. When you are away from her, it must be so very nice to know that you are going home to your daughter:) Glad Nora is doing well. She's such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet video, and I love this post! I still keep having these "aha" moments where I realize all over again that I'm someone's mom! It's a great feeling, and I hope that excitement never goes away completely!

    Nora is darling!!

    Melba

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. It is so strange to wake up one day and realize you are now responsible for another human being. And that people look at you differently when they know you're mom. Weird.

    Love the video. She's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also know what you mean!! Parenthood is amazing and Nora is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete