May 16, 2009

Home Visit Update

Our home visit was very short and sweet yesterday. There wasn't the insane anxiety of the home visit of the previous year. We're very comfortable around our caseworker so all was good. There wasn't really a home inspection since it was so apparent that we are not going to be here for much longer. She then just had to ask the obligatory questions for the agency. These included whether or not we'd been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor in the last year, had we had any domestic violence incidents or any new drug habits to report. Luckily, we've made it through the past year without being arrested and we're too focused on stashing away cash for a down payment to start a drug habit - I hear they're expensive;). Of course, it's important that all these questions be asked but it seems pretty apparent when you are sitting down with us that the answers to all of those questions would be no.

We also learned that the agency is VERY slow right now. She said that they have been trying to figure out why. She said that abortion rates are up in the state but that doesn't explain all of it. There are quite a few women who she said are currently in counseling that are due in September - November.

This will sound funny since I've been so anxiously awaiting bambino, but, I'd love to have a September call so that we had time to get settled in our new digs. We were laughing with our caseworker that the universe was going to sabotage us and a mom would come out of the blue and pick us in the next few weeks (not that that would be the worst thing that could happen). So, all is good on the adoption front. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit on the back burner for the next month or two.

1 comment:

  1. Jen,
    When my parents adopted me in 1969, they got the call out of the blue. My dad was away for his 2 weeks of Army reserve obligation. They didn't have a crib, or a name. They picked me up after my mom picked up my dad from the train at Union Station, and figured out what to name me on the way home. I slept in a drawer for a week while they found a used crib they could afford.

    It all turned out OK :)!